100 Mile Fire Rescue responded to 2 fires..on the same day over the weekend.
Sunday afternoon (October 16) Fire Chief Roger Hollander said they were called out to a grass fire at a property off Horse Lake Road
He said it was determined that the property owner was burning grass contrary to the current prohibition of Category 2 and 3 fires
“When crews arrived they observed a grass fire in a farmer’s field. In this particular case, the wind started to pick up and there was quite a bit of long-standing grass but our crews were able to suppress the fire relatively quickly and got water into an area that did not have hydrants so we did some tendering of water supply. All was good after a few hours there and we were able to pass the property back over to the owner,” Hollander said.
That evening 100 Mile Fire Rescue responded to an unknown fire at a residence within town boundaries.
“We did have a kitchen fire that our crews responded to and upon arrival, they observed a heavy amount of smoke that was coming from the residence,” Hollander said, “We sent in a couple of teams of firefighters and observed it was coming from the stove, there was some cooking that was left unattended and we were able to put that out before it was able to get into the home’s structure and before it caused any further damage.”
Hollander noted that the resident phoned 9-1-1 fast which is always appreciated and helps them get there in a timely fashion and that all occupants made it out of the home.