â–º Listen Live

â–º Listen Live

â–º Listen Live

HomeNews100 Mile HouseSchool District 27 to keep current Transportation of Students Policy

School District 27 to keep current Transportation of Students Policy

The Board of Education for School District 27 will not be changing their policy on the transportation of students despite one parent believing that it should be reviewed.

Chair Tanya Guenther says high costs was the reason why Trustees said no at their board meeting Tuesday evening.

“It could potentially mean an impact of approximately $500,000 for new buses and an additional $500,000 for operating the additional bus routes that may be required.”

Melissa Alphonse, a parent in Williams Lake had requested the Board of Education review their policy.

In a letter she says there are major safety issues for her 14-year-old daughter walking to school, including being approached by drug dealers, and that more bus privileges should be readily available to students who are not eligible to ride the bus because they live beyond the policy’s 4.8 km from the school especially during the winter months.

She says she has been picking her daughter up from school, but wonders about the other children whose parents are unable to provide this privilege for them.

Guenther says if school buses are not full there can be accommodations for additional students.

“The limits that are in place are limits that if a student resides beyond the number of kilometers away from the school then transportation is provided, and within in that there a number of students who live closer who are able to take the bus if there is an available seat.”

District Staff apologized to the Board on bringing Alphonse’s request which was dated December 12, 2014, so late to the Board saying it was unintentional.