(Files by Brody Langager-MyPGNow)
In a news conference, Health Minister Adrian Dix, Dr. Bonnie Henry, and Northern Health chief medical health officer Dr. Jong Kim have announced tighter COVID-19 health measures for Northern Health to stop the exponential growth of the virus.
The restrictions will go into effect on September 7th, and the main focus will be on personal gatherings, which will be limited to 50 people outdoors, and one additional family or five people in your home.
Outdoor and sporting events will also be affected, gatherings of over 200 people will need COVID safety plans.
Not restricted by either NH order or restart step 3/PHO order:
- All indoor fitness classes allowed, normal capacity
- Gyms and recreation facilities, normal capacity
- Restaurants, bars, pubs and nightclubs (except for socialization between tables or dancing)
- worship services or educational activities (K to 12 and post-secondary)
“Now sadly we are seeing some transmission that has taken off in a number of communities where we have pockets of people who are unvaccinated. And it has spread very rapidly, particularly in the past ten days where we’ve seen a 6 times increase in transmission,” said Henry.
Northern Health saw 103 new cases reported today (Thursday), bringing our total case count to 553.
“Getting immunized will help keep our hospitals open for treating people with other illnesses,” said Dr. Jong Kim.
“These orders are a temporary way to help manage the spread of the virus and the impact on the health system.”
In response to reports of people blocking access to hospitals during protests, Dix condemned the actions.
“I think we need to reflect on the behaviour of some, which is unacceptable, and I think reflects very very badly on them.”
90% of ICU patients in Northern Health are unvaccinated.
Provincewide, there were 801 new cases, bringing the active cases to 5,931.
Of the active cases, 199 individuals are in hospital and 116 are in intensive care.
The new/active cases include:
* 267 new cases in Fraser Health
* Total active cases: 1,616
* 128 new cases in Vancouver Coastal Health
* Total active cases: 1,102
* 237 new cases in Interior Health
* Total active cases: 2,112
* 103 new cases in Northern Health
* Total active cases: 553
* 66 new cases in Island Health
* Total active cases: 541
* no new cases of people who reside outside of Canada
* Total active cases: seven
From Aug. 25-31, people not fully vaccinated accounted for 79.0% of cases and from Aug 18-31, they accounted for 84.0% of hospitalizations.
Past week cases (Aug. 25-31) – Total 4,861
* Not vaccinated: 3,345 (68.8%)
* Partially vaccinated: 496 (10.2%)
* Fully vaccinated: 1,020 (21.0%)
Past two weeks cases hospitalized (Aug. 18-31) – Total 268
* Not vaccinated: 203 (75.7%)
* Partially vaccinated: 22 (8.2%)
* Fully vaccinated: 43 (16.0%)
That being said, 77.9% of BC adults and 76.9% of those 12 and up are fully vaccinated.
85.3% of adults in the province and 84.6% of those 12 and up received their first jab.