Anahim Lake Area on Evacuation Alert
An Evacuation Alert has been issued by Cariboo Regional District at the Emergency Operations Centre (EOC) for 449 parcels in the Anahim Lake Area. This alert covers 143,166 hectares.
The alert is due to the Hotnarko Creek wildfire in the Bella Coola Valley region.
The BC Wildfire Service says it is an estimated 950 hectares in size.
An Evacuation Alert has been issued to prepare you to evacuate your premises or property should it be required.
Residents will be given as much advance notice as possible prior to evacuation; however you may receive limited notice due to changing conditions.
WHAT YOU SHOULD DO WHEN AN ALERT IS IN EFFECT
Upon notification of an ALERT, you should be prepared for the evacuation order:
- Have a plan to transport all family members or co-workers outside of the area, should the area be brought under evacuation order.
- Keep essential items readily available for a quick departure; including medications, eyeglasses, valuable papers (i.e. insurance), immediate care needs for dependents and, if you choose, keepsakes (photographs, etc).
- Ensure that any dependents or pets are prepared for departure.
- Move pets and livestock to a safe area.
- Ensure that you have accommodation options for your family, if possible. A Reception Centre will be made available if required.
- In the event of an evacuation alert, do not turn off your natural gas. Visit FortisBC for information on being prepared in an emergency related to your natural gas connection.
- Monitor reliable news sources for information on evacuation orders and locations of Reception Centres, including CRD Facebook and website.
- If you are on an evacuation ALERT, or if you have been displaced from your home due to an emergency, please self-register for Emergency Support Services. Self-Registration will reduce wait times for evacuees and assist in the referral process.