At least five residents were asked to leave their homes on Gibbon Street this morning as the Williams Lake Fire Department took precautionary evacuation measures from a natural gas leak.
Fire Chief Des Webster and his crew remained on scene directing traffic, as crews from Fortis BC worked behind them repairing the leak.
“They were doing some construction up here at development on Gibbon Street and they’ve actually hit a service going into a residence up here and the service has caused a leak in a 2-inch steel gas main.”
Webster says although he did not have a time frame for how long it would take for the leak to be repaired, he did say that more homeowners could be without gas as Fortis shuts off the gas flow.
He asked residences affected by the leak to check back in with the Department for when it would be advisable to return back to their homes.