100 Mile House Fire-Rescue was on the scene of a structure fire Thursday afternoon on Keene Road.
“Upon arrival, our crews witnessed a small pump house on the property that was fully involved unfortunately in flames, and it appeared that it was a distance away from the structure and any other exposure,” said fire chief Roger Hollander. “So it was good that it was just contained to that small outbuilding.”
Hollander said crews were able to extinguish the fire quickly and stayed on-site for approximately 90 minutes.
The cause of the fire was due to a temporary wood stove being used to warm the outbuilding which was a complete loss.
Hollander reminds the public to always use caution around wood stoves, never leave wood-burning appliances unattended, and to remain vigilant when attempting to thaw frozen pipes and other material in cold temperatures especially when using non-conventional methods.