Listen Live

Listen Live

Listen Live

HomeNews100 Mile HouseTis the season to be careful: fire departments

Tis the season to be careful: fire departments

With the holidays almost here, fire departments throughout the Cariboo want to ensure that everyone has a happy and fire-safe season.

100 Mile Fire Rescue Chief Roger Hollander said it’s the chimney fire season and that it is important to keep them clean on a regular basis.

“A lot of people are unaware that the ashes need to be outside in an obviously non-combustible pail and not left inside,” Hollander said of disposing ashes from fireplaces. “It does give off carbon monoxide by just letting it smolder inside. There’s a lot of people that leave it in their home to cool off”.

As for the number one of cause of fires during the holidays Hollander said it is cooking and kitchen-related.

- Advertisement -

“We suggest that you don’t leave any cooking unattended,” he said. “So that means staying in the room and making sure that everything is off when you’re finished cooking”.

In addition to working smoke alarms, Hollander said every home should be equipped with this device.

“Making sure everybody has a fire extinguisher in their kitchens, at least one for each level in their home is a really, really good idea,” he said. “We constantly talk to people on a regular basis who do not own a fire extinguisher in their entire house. These portable extinguishers are meant to put out small fires and obviously before they get bigger”.

Other safety reminders over the holidays Hollander said are to make sure a real tree stays fresh and green by watering it daily and having a fire escape plan and sharing it with guests. He added to turn off all light strings and decorations before leaving home or going to bed.

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading

More