Fortis BC has now given the all clear after a gas leak in downtown Quesnel this afternoon.
The Quesnel Volunteer Fire Department was called to the 400 block of Reid Street between 1-30 and quarter to two.
Fire Chief Sylvain Gauthier says construction crews were digging to put in a new water line across from Mr. Mikes, when they unexpectedly came across a two inch gas line that wasn’t identified.
Gauthier says they just nicked it and gas began to leak.
The sidewalk was blocked off but has since been re-opened.
Fortis had to bring a specialized crew down from Prince George to stop the leak.
The Quesnel Volunteer Fire Department was called to a gas leak on Reid Street this afternoon.
Fire Chief Slyvain Gauthier says the call came in between 1-30 and quarter to 2 to the 400 block of Reid, where crews were working across from Mr. Mikes….
“The contractor was digging to put the new water line in and unexpectedly came across a gas line that wasn’t identified and they just nicked it, so it’s a two inch line and we have gas leaking.”
Gauthier says Fortis Gas now has a specialized crew coming down from Prince George to stop the leak.
He says there is no immediate danger…
“No, we have Reid Street in the 400 block totally blocked off, so on the east side of Reid Street, by Mr. Mikes and Quizno’s. All the businesses have been notified and some are shut down for the afternoon, unless they have access at the back, but the sidewalk is blocked off.”
No one was hurt.