The additional requirements of companies proposing to build mines with new tailings dams are as follows:
- A description and assessment of alternative means of undertaking the proposed project with respect to options for tailings management that consider technology, siting, and water-balance management
- Presenting and comparing best practices and best available technologies for tailings management
- Options for managing water balance to enhance safety and reduce the risk of a tailings dam failure
- A comparison of technically and economically viable engineering solutions to address site conditions
- A clear and transparent evaluation of the factors that supported the selection of the most suitable option.
When we asked Polak meanwhile about where the environmental remediation at Mt. Polley is at, she says it is continuing to move forward.
Polak says the Ministry is hopeful that they will be able to meet the timelines that have been envisioned but adds that a lot of that will depend on Imperial Metals.
Phase 1 of remediation is anticipated to conclude in June of this year, with Phase II beginning in July.