â–º Listen Live

â–º Listen Live

â–º Listen Live

HomeNewsHealth Centre Celebrates 1st Anniversary with New Name and 10 Year Commitment

Health Centre Celebrates 1st Anniversary with New Name and 10 Year Commitment

The Thompson Rivers University Health Centre in Williams Lake has a new name after receiving a 10 year, $100,00 commitment.

Jim Zimmerman, CEO of Williams Lake and District Credit Union announced the commitment as the Centre celebrated their 1 year anniversary on Thursday.

Zimmerman says the commitment comes as part of the Credit Union’s guiding principle on social responsibility.

“The Health Centre is addressing some of the gaps in our health care system for the community, so it really helps to improve that part of the fabric of our community.”

“The University nursing program also gets a really good payback on this Health Centre because the students get some first-hand experience.”

“It enhances both education and healthcare.”

Sandi Lachapelle, Family Nurse Practitioner who leads the Centre, says she could not be more thrilled.

“This is a fantastic position that I have here. I’m so pleased that the community has embraced us like this, it’s amazing. The support has been overwhelming.”

“We didn’t know if we’d be able to continue past the first year.”

Lachappelle, who estimates over 1,900 individuals have used the services offered at the Centre since August, reflects on how the Centre offers nursing students a great learning experience.

“There’s a health care center on site, so we get lots of students dropping in with various things that we’re able to help them with.”

“For the nursing students, it gives them an opportunity to see how a primary health care centre works, which is not something they usually get access to as nursing students.”

Dr. Ray Sanders, Executive Director with TRU says the commitment will ensure the Centre’s future within the community.

“Interior Health through the grant basically pays for our Nurse Practitioner, but we don’t have support for supplies and we don’t have support other than generous donations.”

“We have a medical office assistant salary that we have to pay and some of those things. There’s a lot of needs out there that this money will help us with.”

The Health Centre at the TRU campus in Williams Lake serves up to 16 individuals each day.

- Advertisement -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading

More