Vanessa Sulymka who saved saved her husband in a mobile home fire received a Certificate of Merit at last night’s Regular Council Meeting.
Mayor Walt Cobb says “Vanessa woke up coughing to a room full of smoke. When she opened the bedroom door the hallway was engulfed in flames. Ron could not wake. So she pulled him off the bed…and they both managed to escape….Vanessa demonstrated a significant amount of courage to react the way she did and they’re both very lucky.”
150 Mile Fire Chief Stan McCarthy says he was the first to arrive on scene April 12 at 11:45 pm and that the kitchen and living room where fully engulfed in flames.
He says that Vanessa and Ron were quite lucky.
“They were both sleeping in their back bedroom…They were outside and I put them in my vehicle to keep warm because they didn’t have much clothing.”
Vanessa says, “I dragged my unconscious husband from our bed to the window of our trailer while I choked on smoke to save him first. He came to at the window and ran around the house to break down the door and save our puppies.”
McCarthy said about 20 crews members quickly attacked the blaze and put it out fairly quickly.